Fashion Designer Kate Spade Found Dead

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Kate Spade, the iconic fashion designer behind one of the most recognized handbags collections and fashion lines, was found dead yesterday at her Park Avenue apartment in New York City of an apparent suicide. She was 55.

Spade, who according to New York Police Department sources, died due to asphyxiation caused by hanging was found around 10:00am by her housekeeper. There was a note at the scene that referenced bother her husband, Andy Spade, brother of the comedic actor, David Spade, and her daughter Frances Beatrix Spade.

Reports have surfaced of Spade's battle with depression over the last few years with family members, most recently her sister, Reto Saffo, indicting the creative genius, was self-medicating with alcohol, an accusation her brother-in-law and husband vehemently deny.


Robin Williams, Oscar Winning Actor, Dead at 63


Kate Spade, nee Katherine Noel Brosnahan, was born in Kansas City, MO and had often spoke of her mother's influence in her early development as a free fashion thinker. With the encouragement to dress as she felt even if it contradicted convention, Spade grew up believing in her fashion choices.

After graduating from Arizona State University with a degree in journalism she secured employment with Mademoiselle where she eventually worked her way up to Fashion Editor. Her then mentor and future husband, Andy Spade, casually and simply mentioned handbags when the two were brainstorming her next move.

The rest they say is fashion History with Kate Spade bags becoming the "it" bag of a generation who wanted collection fashion at affordable price points. Spades bags were just that. Soon they were on the runway carried by Hollywood elite and making a strong impression of Sixth Avenue. The line grew from its origins of seven bags to a multi-million, and now, multi-billion dollar market that included shoes, fashion, ready to wear and home collections.


Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead of Heroin Overdose


Spade and her husband, who were both co-owners and founders of the global brand, sold 56% share of brand in 1999 to Neiman Marcus Group for $30million and in 2006, sold the remaining 44% shares for $59million. It must have shocked both when Neiman Marcus Group sold the brand almost immediately for $124million and in the next decade, Liz Claiborne Inc., sold the company to Coach, Inc., for $2.4 billion.

Spade received the 1996 Council of Fashion Designers of America award for "America's New Fashion Talent in Accessories." In 1999 she was again awarded the Best Designer in Accessories.

Spade was survived by her husband Andy, and her daughter, Frances, brother-in-law, David, a niece, Rachel Brosnahan, as well as various other relatives. Funeral arrangement have not been made public.

 

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Haute Tease

  • Op/Ed: COVID-19 - Speaking Up in Black and White

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    These days more and more apparently intelligent people seem to upspeak. That's the irritating "Valley Girl" inflection where every sentence sounds like a question. Don't these people trust their own thoughts and words?

     
  • Celeb Photos: Premieres and Parties at the Annual Austin Film & Music Festival

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    Hollywood event company A-List Communications wrapped its annual premiere program of film events at its popular Arts & Cinema Centre with sponsors Maestro Dobel Tequila and Blue Moon Brewing at Basecamp and Summit venues located at 120 West 5th Street in Austin, TX.

     
  • US Ambassador: Trump Will Soon Approve Israeli West Bank Sovereignty Declaration

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    In an interview released by Israel Hayom Wednesday, June 24, 2020, US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said that the application of Israeli sovereignty is expected soon and will be approved by the Trump administration.

     
  • YOUTH Review - Genuinely Moving, a Soul Stirring Journey of Beauty, Folly, Regret, Love

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    YOUTH, from FOX Searchlight Pictures, brings to the screen a beautiful ensemble performance on life, desire, passion, need and the one certainty that life, however well planned, is often best lived when enjoying the unpredictable.  

     
  • John Bailey Elected Academy President

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    John Bailey was elected president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Tuesday night (August 8) by the organization's Board of Governors marking Bailey first term as president and his fourteenth year as a governor.   

  • Stealing School Review – A Compelling Dark Comedic Drama

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    Stealing School, from Vertical Entertainment, presents a dramatic comedy on higher education integrity as a brilliant tech prodigy is accused of cheating and must prove her innocence in a secret trial held before a review board.