Election 2020: Tom Steyer Suspends His Presidential Run

This evening, Democratic presidential candidate Tom Steyer, who has become a nationally recognized candidate, suspended his campaign for the democratic nomination, releasing the following statement as results for the South Carolina primary were being reported.

"I want to congratulate Vice President Biden on his victory in South Carolina. I started this campaign powered by a deep conviction that our country can't wait to address the climate crisis, racial inequities and economic injustice. I entered this race because I understand the importance of beating Donald Trump and moving quickly to address the climate crisis.

Beltway Insider: Trump/Pardons, Russia, Weinstein, Coronavirus, Quaden Bayles, Election 2020

"This campaign has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, but I have always said that if I could no longer see a path to victory, I would not stay in the race. That's why tonight I am suspending my campaign for president. 

"I got into this race because I care about progressive change and the power of grassroots organizing and I promise that I won't stop caring about change after tonight. I will continue to fight in the most impactful ways possible to make sure Democrats take back the White House, that our country takes real action on climate change, and that we take meaningful steps towards righting the racial and economic injustices that plague our society. NextGen America will continue to knock on doors, register voters, and mobilize Americans from all walks of life in the fight for a brighter future. 

Five Dead as Shooter Targets Co-Workers at The Molson Coors Brewing Plant

"I want to thank the voters of South Carolina, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Iowa for demonstrating that the Democratic Party has what it takes to beat Donald Trump in November."

Paid for by Tom Steyer 2020. 

Tom Steyer left his successful investing business seven years ago to give his own money and all his time and energy to fighting for progressive causes. He soon became one of the country's leading forces in registering more young voters and voters of color, fighting climate change, working for racial justice, and helping secure better lives for all Americans.

Disgraced Hollywood Mogul Harvey Weinstein Found Guilty

Tom has led a number of people-first, grassroots campaigns that have repeatedly defeated powerful special interests, beating big oil to win clean air laws, forcing big tobacco to pay its share of healthcare costs, and closing a billion-dollar corporate tax loophole to fund public schools.  

Staples Center Packed for Kobe, Gianna Bryant Celebration of Life Tribute

Tom and his wife Kat Taylor were early signers of the Giving Pledge, a commitment to give the bulk of their fortune to good causes before they die. Tom's dedication to doing what is right comes from his parents. His father was a lawyer who prosecuted Nazis at the Nuremberg Trials; his mother was a journalist and teacher who volunteered to teach prisoners in New York City jails. Tom says his parents showed him the power of having the courage to do the right thing. Their greatest lesson, he says, was that our actions speak louder than our words – what we do is more important than what we say.

Haute Tease